Friday, December 12, 2008

Merry Christmas from the Bookamer home!

"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a Son, and they will call Him Immanuel" — which means, "God with us." ~ Matthew 1:23

We are so thankful that God came to live with mankind as Jesus Christ, and that He is still with us through His Holy Spirit. Life is not always easy, but thanks be to God for His grace through Jesus Christ and the indwelling Holy Spirit.

To catch you up with our growing girls, Jamila is in 5th grade, Joanna is in 4th, Julia is in 2nd, & Jenna is spending her last year home with Mama before she goes off to kindergarten next year. She has told me that she has decided not to have any more birthdays so that she can stay home with me. :) Speaking of Jenna, this week she was so excited to tell me that she figured out “P starts with pizza” … then later “penguin, too!”

Jamila, Joanna, & Julia all played soccer (aka football) in the spring & plan to again this coming spring. Each of them does very well in school & love to keep up Webkinz accounts.

Jamila & Joanna are working very hard illustrating my children’s picture books based on UAE childhood memories. I then scan them into the computer to create my 2-page spreads, formatting to add the text & borders. I am getting pretty excited that they might actually get published after working on them for many years. (I had an excellent illustrator friend who just never had time to finish a book to submit it to a publisher.) So far, we have the inside covers, 7 pages & the glossary for the 1st book, as well as 2 pages for the 2nd book. I am so thankful for the girls’ abilities & willingness, especially since my neuro-muscular condition makes it impossible for me to draw like I used to.

The difficult aspect of our lives is my diagnosis with spinocerebral ataxia (SCA). I just finished 6 weeks of physical therapy, which (not surprisingly) didn’t help. David & the girls really pitch in to do what I find it increasingly difficult to do. In addition to all that David already does at work & at home, he is up for a 3-year term as deacon at our church. And so, the Lord continues to remind us to rely totally on His grace as we strive to live each day to His glory.

3 comments:

Maxine said...

Hi, What a lovely family!! It's been too long since I've been over! Nice to hear you all are doing well and I finally get to see a picture with hubby in it!

I didn't know about your children's book! Best wishes with that. Keep us posted too.

Couple of tips: A good Yahoo group to join is Christian Childrens Writers List (CCWL). Also look into the the new law which may affect children's books as well: CPSIA. here's a link with info on that:
Consumer Product Consumer Protection Act

Maxine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maxine said...

Sorry about this! The site you want is here:

http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/faq/101faq.html

I can't seem to make the live link work unfortunately.